Easy peasy delicious guacamole with a kick

Ingredients
  • 3 avocados, as large as I can find them
  • 3 jalapenos, I use these because I haven't been able to find fresh jalapenos in my city
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2-3 medium/salad tomatoes
  • 1 lime
  • 2 small onions
  • Handful of coriander/cilantro
  • Quite a bit of salt, freshly ground black pepper, chilli powder
  • A nice big bowl, melamine if you're like me

If possible, enlist one of your friends or loved ones to help with the prep for this as there's enough for two to do.
If you're sharing the workload, the timings/use of chopping board should be right for 1 person to stand with the bowl and a small knife doing the odd numbers and the other person to have the chopping board and a bigger knife and do the even numbers. 

Instructions
1. Get the avocado into the bowl, minus stone and skin - throw those away or plant the stone, do whatever. I like to use a small knife, halve the avocado and then slice along the dotted/grey lines in the picture to the right, pressing the knife somewhat gently so that it doesn't pierce through the skin, then turn the skin inside out/press the middle through the back of the avocado (the side with skin on it still). Once the avocado is in the bowl use a fork to mash it up a little so it is no longer in cubes but don't liquefy it (I like a chunky guacamole, if you want it smooth, mix the guac until it is smooth).

2. Chop the tomatoes into approximately 1cm^3 pieces, I don't bother taking out the inside bit, just eat it all, if there is still room on the chopping board chop the onions into similarly sized pieces as well. Empty it into the bowl.

3.  Juice the lime into the bowl, while it is whole I squeeze it a little but I pass the lime to my boyfriend as he gets like 3x the juice out. He tends to stick a knife in it and just squeeze, or cut in half and have the two halves spoon each other, then squeeze. You can also use a fork/knife to try to get any more bits of pulp.

4. Get the skin off the garlic (squash it with the flat of a knife then just take it off) and chop very finely, or mince. Chop the jalapenos fairly finely, as I use pickled horrible things I just cut the slices in half as they aren't very spicy/flavourful, chuck them in the bowl.

5. Tear apart the cilantro - it doesn't need to be that small, and toss it in the bowl. Shake the salt over the guacamole until you think your arteries are clogging just looking at that salt (I shake it pretty vigourously like 10 times? I like a very salty/spicy guac as I have it with tortilla chips/homemade chilli con carne type stuff/sour cream, see this recipe), grind some black pepper onto it, a few twists will do. Mix it a bit then shake chilli powder onto it until it has ceased being a bright vibrant green and is a less appealing sludgy colour from the red/green mixing (around 1/2 teaspoon, depending how spicy your chilli powder is)

6. If you haven't already got everything in the ingredients list in the bowl, throw them in, mix around a little more and have a taste. I always end up with too much guac for how much chilli I've made so I end up using it as a sandwich filling and it just makes everything so much better
A photo posted by Olivia Shaw (@o_shaw_) on

Comments